Church of Azazel > Internet congregation
Church of Azazel
- Basic information about the Internet proto-congregation
- What kind of people we're looking for
- How to join
Basic information about the Internet proto-congregation
The Internet proto-congregation has been dormant for a while. As of February 2013, we will begin reviving it.
It is envisioned that the Internet congregation, like each local congregation, will eventually consist of five Cabals, one for each of our five rising Gods (Lilith, Prometheus, Ishtar, Pan, or Lucifer-of-Sophia). As of January 2013, we've decided to build the Internet proto-congregation one Cabal at a time, starting with a Lilith Cabal.
Members of the Internet proto-congregation will both (1) participate in coordinated solo rituals (to be discussed in our private email groups) and (2) participate in other, more public ways which, in one way or another, help us increase the public Internet visibility of the more intelligent and articulate forms of theistic Satanism, (e.g. by participating in the Theistic Satanism blog network) and/or help us and others to launch one of five larger independent spiritual movements (for Pagans, polytheists, and occultists in general, not just Satanists) devoted to one of our five rising Gods (Lilith, Prometheus, Ishtar, Pan, or Lucifer-of-Sophia). Your public participation may be under a pseudonym; you need not reveal your legal name.
The purposes of the Internet proto-congregation will be:
- To bring together a cadre of people who will eventually form local congregations of the Church of Azazel in various places around the world.
- To develop new rituals and spiritual practices for the Church of Azazel.
- To address the personal needs, desires, and goals of members by sharing information and practical advice, as well as via coordinated solo rituals.
- To help members acquire knowledge about comparative religion and about those aspects of science, history. religious trends, mythology, occult practices, etc., that are relevant to the Church of Azazel's paradigm.
- To develop strategies to defend our rights and oppose the Christian religious right wing.
- To enhance the public Internet visibility of the more intelligent forms of theistic Satanism (including but not limited to the Church of Azazel itself).
- To help build five larger independent spiritual movements (for Pagans, polytheists, and occultists in general, not just Satanists) devoted to each of our five rising Gods (Lilith, Prometheus, Ishtar, Pan, and Lucifer-of-Sophia).
Please note that one of the purposes of the Internet congregation will be to bring together a cadre of people who will eventually form local congregations of the Church of Azazel in cities other than New York. Hence the Internet congregation will be in some ways more demanding than a local congregation will be in its requirements of its members, especially its prospective core members.
In particular, all members of the Internet congregation of the Church of Azazel are required to participate publicly on the Internet (at least under a pseudonym, if not under their legal identities) as well as in our private email group(s).
What kind of people we're looking for
The ideal Church of Azazel member is one who agrees with the basic perspective of the Church of Azazel and shares our goals but who is also capable of thinking for oneself and giving us constructive criticism. We're not looking for blind followers.
The online congregation is intended primarly for potential core members of the Church of Azazel, although it welcomes other members too. All members, especially prospective core members, must, among other things, be willing to spend time learning about all of the following:
- The Church of Azazel's own paradigm.
- Various other kinds of Satanism too.
- Various occult/magic(k)al traditions and practices.
- Mythology and history relevant to at least one of our Rising Gods.
- Beliefs about the Devil by those forms of Christianity that promote belief in a Devil. (Note that we do not agree with Christian theology, but our members are expected to be familiar with the history of Devil beliefs.)
- The history of religion, mythology, and occultism in general.
- Today's major religious trends.
- News and history of anti-Satanist panics and other social and poliitical issues relevant to freedom of religion and the separation of church and state.
- News and history of the activities of our main enemy, the Christian religious right wing, and the religious movements behind it.
Members of the Church of Azazel's online congregation are expected to have a strong, sustained, longterm interest in learning about all of the above.
In addition, members who are deconverts from fundamentalist, charismatic, or traditionalist forms of Christianity are expected to spend time learning about the evidence and arguments against traditional Christian beliefs, with the eventual aim of engaging in counter-evangelism. Such members are also expected, more so than others, to spend time learning about various non-Christian religions and forms of occultism, to broaden their spiritual horizons.
On the other hand, those members who are not deconverts from the more aggressive and theocratic-minded forms of Christianity are expected, more so than other members, to spend some time learning about (1) those forms of Christianity that promote belief in a Devil, and how their views of the Devil typically differ from the pop-cultural view, and (2) the more intolerant forms of Chirstianity and the dangers they pose to the rest of us. The latter is a matter on which most people who live outside the Bible Belt are blissfully ignorant. And even many people who live inside the Bible Belt are unaware of the ways that Christianity has been mutating over the past few decades.
If you do not have a deep and sustained interest in learning about these matters -- if all you're looking for is a private Satanist coven -- then the Church of Azazel is not for you. If you are just looking for some intelligent conversation with Satanists online, you might try these Facebook groups and pages, founded by Diane Vera in spring 2011, now run by a friend.
How to join
If you would like to be considered for membership in the Internet proto-congregation of the Church of Azazel, please do all of the following:
- Before you do anything else, spend some time studying this website.
- Begin the process of you and us getting to know each other by joining the following New York City Meetup groups and then participating on their message boards:
- The Meetup group of the NYC Church of Azazel proto-congregation itself. (Message board here.)
- The NYC Satanists/LHP discussion group, a.k.a. NYC Satanists, Luciferians, Dark Pagans, and Left Hand Path occultists, a group for Satanists, etc. of all law-abiding kinds, not just those interested in the Church of Azazel paradigm. (Message board here.)
- The Meetup group of the NYC New Yorkers Against Religion-Based Bigotry (NYARBB), which is currently dormant as an in-person group, but you are welcome to post relevant stuff on the message board. Note that NYARBB is not a Satanist group -- it is a group for people of all religions, or of no religion, who oppose and are concerned about rising theocratic trends. (Please keep the general audience in mind when posting there, and keep in mind that attempts to proselytize are inappropriate.)
After some substantial interaction with you via the message boards, including a total of at least ten posts by you containing substantial information and/or thoughtful discussion, then make private email contact via Meetup. You'll then be expected to do at least one (not all) of the following, if you have not done so already:
- Begin creating an intelligent, articulate blog devoted to theistic Satanism, and help us revive the Theistic Satanism blog network (for which we'll happily give you any technical advice you need).
- Begin creating an intelligent, articulate blog devoted to one of our Rising Gods, aimed at an audience of Pagans, polytheists, and occultists in general, not just Satanists.
- Begin creating at least two local Meetup groups: (1) a group for Satanists and LHPers of all kinds, similar to NYC Satanists, Luciferians, Dark Pagans, and Left Hand Path occultists, and (2) a group devoted to one of our Rising Gods, aimed at an audience of Pagans, polytheists, and occultists in general, not just Satanists. (Note: If you choose to do this, be sure to get some important technical advice from us before you start your Meetup groups, to maximize your chances of success.)
- Begin other possible public participation, specifics to be negotiated via email.
Then ask to be invited to two private email groups of the Internet proto-congregation of the Church of Azazel, one for the proto-congregation as a whole and one for the Cabal of your chosen Rising God. (As of February 2013, a Cabal exists only for Lilith. Cabals for the other Rising Gods will be added later, one at a time.) The amount and kind of ongoing public participation we'll continue expect from you (outside our private email group) will be decided at that point, based on your abilities and inclinations.
To remain a member in good standing, once you've joined the Internet Proto-Congregation of the Church of Azazel, please then: (1) continue your agreed-upon public participation, or re-negotiate it as needed, (2) participate regularly in our private email group, and (3) perform our agreed-upon rituals and give us feedback on how they went for you.
For more information about our membership structure and requirements, see Church of Azazel membership structure and code of conduct.
Back to Church of Azazel