Against Satanic Panics > GLBT > Moscow
The Moscow mayor who believes gays are "Satanic"
by Diane Vera
Copyright © 2007 by Diane Vera. All rights reserved.
The mayor of Moscow has prohibited a local Gay Pride parade, calling it "Satanic" and, according to some news stories, "Satanist." In reality, of course, only a tiny fraction of gays (or gay activists) are Satanists. But the Moscow mayor is, apparently, under the influence of ultra-religious folks who believe that homosexuality is of the Devil, and hence that anyone who advocates tolerance toward gays must be a Satanist.
- Moscow mayor vows never to permit gay parade, calls it 'satanic', International Herald Tribune (Europe), January 29, 2007, from The Associated Press)
- Moscow Mayor: Gay Pride is ‘Satanist Happening’: Organiser to sue City’s Mayor for personal insults, U.K. Gay News, January 29, 2007, from GayRussia.ru (Another copy on 247gay.com, January 30, 2007)
- Moscow Mayor Calls Gays "Satanists": Gays "Insulted", Queerty, Mon, Jan 29, 2007
Here is some background:
- Moscow's Gay Pride Violently Suppressed: Activists set on by fascist gangs by Peter Tatchell, U.K. Gay News, May 27, 2006
- Moscow Court Upholds Ruling On Pride Ban, Queerty, Tue, Aug 22, 2006
- Moscow Gay Pride Ban Goes to the European Court of Human Rights, U.K. Gay News, January 29, 2007, from GayRussia.ru
And here are some follow-up stories:
- Putin Speaks Publicly on Moscow Gay Pride: Russian activists upbeat, but with cautious optimism, U.K. Gay News, February 1, 2007 (Another copy on 247gay.com)
- Marching orders by Peter Tatchell, a gay rights activist in the U.K., February 28, 2007