The new Satanisms of the era of the Internet
by Diane Vera
During the last several decades of the 20th century, most public Satanists were only symbolic Satanists. That is, they did not literally believe in or worship Satan. Instead, they regarded Satan as only a symbol of various desirable qualities such as independence, individuality, and strength. Many were atheists.
A theistic Satanist, also known as a "traditional Satanist," "spiritual Satanist," or "Devil Worshiper," is one who does believe in and worship Satan as a deity, or who at least is strongly inclined in that direction. When this website first went online in fall 2002 C.E, we theistic Satanists were still a despised minority within the public Satanist scene. But we have grown rapidly and now seem to be the majority -- at least in online forums, though we still have some catching up to do in terms of real-world organization and in terms of being noticed by scholars of new religions.
From 1969 C.E. until very recently, most Satanists' first exposure to Satanism was via Anton LaVey's Satanic Bible. Hence, the vast majority of Satanists were LaVeyans or some fairly close variant thereof. However, beginning in the 1990's, more and more people's first exposure to Satanism has been via the Internet, allowing a wide variety of non-LaVeyan Satanisms to flourish - mostly theistic Satanisms, but also including some non-LaVey-based atheistic symbolic Satanisms as well.
This website is devoted to documenting and commenting on the many new theistic Satanisms. I aim to make this site an informative resource both for theistic Satanists of all kinds and for the general public, including scholars and journalists. My own form of Satanism, like most of the new theistic Satanisms, is to some extent influenced by LaVey but not, by any means, based primarily on LaVey.
- Featured pages
- Invocation to Satan
- Some articles on Satanism by academics, reporters, etc.
- FAQ's on (1) theistic Satanism and (2) Diane Vera's personal beliefs
- To scholars of new religions: Suggestions for research on Satanism
- For new Satanists
- Collections of essays and resources
- The varieties of theistic ("traditional") Satanism
- Popular misconceptions about Satanism
- Satan as the Muse of our civilization
- Rituals, magick, and devotional practices
- About Demons
- Philosophy for theistic Satanists
- Social, legal, and political matters (including my Comments on Anton LaVey's writings and Against Neo-Nazism among Satanists)
- To scholars of new religions
- Attention, New Yorkers!
- For Theistic Satanists from hardcore Christian backgrounds (as I am too)
- To Wiccans and other Pagans and occultists
- Contact, including blogs and forum network
- Contacting Diane Vera
- Diane Vera's Theistic Satanism blog (comments welcome), and pages about the blog
- Theistic Satanism Blog Network (interested bloggers welcome to join; others welcome to post comments)
- Theistic Satanism Forum Network (interested forum owners welcome to join)
- Facebook pages and groups administered or co-administered by Diane Vera
- FORUMS (Yahoo email groups) moderated by Diane Vera - now defunct, but you can still look at them
- Diane Vera's policy on interviews (radio, TV, publications, E-zines)
- Other websites hosted here
- Sites maintained by Diane Vera:
- Against Satanic Panics
- Church of Azazel
- Black Goat Cabal
- Diane Vera's personal pages
- Counter-Evangelism Resource Page
- Sites by other people:
- Your site hosted here too, free, without ads, if you're an intelligent, articulate, law-abiding theistic Satanist, as demonstrated by your posts in our forums.
- Links to other sites
Unless otherwise noted, all contents are copyright © 2003, 2006 Diane Vera. All rights reserved.
Note to website owners: Feel free to link to any page on this site. However, please do not post your own COPY of anything without my explicit permission.
Note to WEB RING owners and surfers: Here's another link to my page of WEB RINGS, specialized search engines, top sites lists, etc., in case you didn't notice it in the main index, above.